February 15, 2018

Suhosine Mulberry (Debregeasia edulis)



Debregeasia edulis (Suhosine, Janatsi-itsigo, Toon-itsigo) is called in China as “shui ma” which can be probably translated as “water hemp”. This name refers to use of the inner bark of this genus plants in manner similar as hemp fibers. This is native to east Asia (including Japan) and belongs to Nettle Family (Urticaceae).This is small (0,3-1,8m = 1-6ft tall) semi-evergreen shrub which creates its inflorescences on thick branches (caulifloric) and next edible orange fruits (which are similar to small round mulberries) with sweet taste and exotic aroma. 

The fruits are very ornamental and  edible (delicious with an exotic aroma)
It is moderately frost hardy (shoots to zone 8 and roots even to zone 7a if mulched) and blooms in spring. Fruits are ripening in summer and hangs on branches to autumn (if birds did not eat them). It is dioecious. I have a clone called “Elite” which is female and creates seedless fruits (without pollinating).


 
This is caulifloric shrub (creates fruits on thick woody branches)


The shrub in flowers in spring
The clone called "Elite" creates only female inflorescences. It can flower when is very small (even about 30cm = 1ft tall)
It creates fruits on even very thick branches
The coin on the photo is size about 1inch = 2,5cm
I tried also growing other species – Debregeasia longifolia (Wild Rhea), which is much larger and need more warmness and lightness in winter. It is native to also to east Asia (China, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, N Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Sikkim, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam). I tried to winter it in cool cellar (without frost) but plants died in mid-winter. It has never flowered in my experience. It is difficult to growing in pots in home also due to its large size.
It can be very large shrub

It has not flowered in my experience

If you have available any Debregeasia (or other rare Urticaceae family plant) species seeds please write to me.



14 comments:

  1. This was really helpful, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you are the only person I know of who has discussed this plant. I just bought one am excited to see how it does. It seems to be growing fast. Do you know if it can be propagated through branch cuttings like mulberries and figs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a plant from Green World Nursery and according to them it produces fruit without a male one. I guess I just have to wait and see if that is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you provide an update on your Suhosine? Would like know if you had fruit or how your plant is doing?

      Delete
  4. I bought one from one green world in washington and it is beautiful haft nat planted yet as wie haft been tropicaly hot lately

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have cuttings from these plants?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...In the Urticaceae Family I have some species in the following Genera:
    Cecropia
    Musanga
    Myrianthus
    Pourouma -- However, the Pourouma guyanensis was hit by the cold before I could move it so I may have lost this 15 foot tree :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you sell or trade Debregeasia edulis?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im looking for Debregeasia edulis, have lots of other rare fruits to trade if anyone is interested.. feel free to message me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you located? I have one but don't know how to propagate it. There's a nursery called One Green World near Portland Oregon that sells them.

      Delete
  9. I took cuttings from the Suhosine Mulberry that I purchased from One Freen World. I have had my Suhosine for about 8 months. It was easy to propagate by cuttings in water and I gave two of the young plants away. It was as easy, maybe even easier than fig cuttings to get rooted. It grew roots quickly in water without rooting hormone. It transplanted easily into Happy Frog (well draining) potting soil. I have been keeping my "mother plant" in a large pot indoors, for now. I took one of the smaller plants outside, around April 1st, but a heavy rain storm blew off the leaves. I live in Zone 8b PNW, Oregon. The Suhosine Mulberry does not seem to like the cold and it started to look scrappy when I let it outside in Fall Temps. I will take the large potted plant out in March. Fingers crossed for fruit. I have eaten a few of the leaves and I want to learn more about this plant as an edible green before I dive into to making pesto! (I am the cautious type.) The leaves have a pleasant and mild taste bt I want to know more about it before I feed it to my ducks or eat more than a few leaves in a salad. It is a very interesting and easy plant to grow. However, I am hesitant to plant this in the ground because I am not sure if it will spread out through an extensive root system and I don't want to have unexpected "new plant" surprises. It is a vigorous potted plant. I like having it indoors in the Fall and Winter as it is an low-maintenance house-plant and seems happy inside. It is sitting near a large window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa ! See my comment below. Excited to see this grow ! I was also on One Green World's list. My friend gave me a very nicely rooted one gallon plant. Several branches were 2 ft or longer. I tip-pruned it a bit when planting today ! Keep us posted ! Cheers from Tempe, Arizona (Phoenix area) :)

      Delete
    2. ps...where did you obtain info on the edible safety of the leaves ? I am cautious--but might like to try them ! :)

      Delete
  10. Thank You for your terrific post on the Suhosine Mulberry "Elite !" Just obtained one from a nursery friend here, who propagated a nice shrub from cuttings & planted it. I am in the Metro Phoenix area here in the US , where it can get very hot (low desert clime), so is planted where it will get shade from 11:30 AM on...Really appreciate the great information !!

    ReplyDelete

Hybrid of Hardy Tamarillo’s (Cyphomandra corymbiflora x fragrans) - current update

 We are pleased to have good news. Just yesterday an article was published about the new varieties of Tamarillo that we later breded. The en...