October 27, 2018

Spotted-leaf Tubergourd (Thladiantha maculata)

Spotted-leaf Tubergourd (Thladiantha maculata) (Chinese name: ban chi bao) this is dioecious herbaceous climber Chinese endemic native to valleys and forests near m. Henan and West Hubei (altitude 500-1800m a.s.l. = 1666-6000 ft a.s.l.)
It is closely relative species to well known Manchu Tubergourd (Thladiantha dubia) - which I described already in a separate post on September 2017. It has similar flowers, but it differs in other features. Th. maculata has silver-whithish-spotted triangular leaves and other shape of tubers. I have not seen the fruits (because I had only male plants) but they are said to be orange-red and fusiform. This is unknown if they are edible. This is very ornamental climber due to beauty leaves and profusion of golden flowers. My accession was origin to higher altitude of Chongqing (China). I tried to cross this species with Th. dubia, but I am not sure if with success yet (the fruits have been created but they grew small and I am not sure if inside of them there are viable seeds; now they are ripening). Now I a trying to winter a tubers in moist sphagnum moss in cool cellar. Next year I am going to sow more seeds with hope that I obtain also female plants (and fruits).
The seeds

Male flower



The tendrils are long and unbranched

The flowers of Thladiantha maculata are similar in appearance to Th. dubia but smaller





The leaves have distinct pale spots on upper surface
 
The tubers of Thladiantha maculata are fusiform (much other than in the case of Th. dubia)
I also tried to grow Thladiantha cordifolia but it has not germinated. It is said to be difficult to germination. I am going to try again in next spring. Maybe scarification could help(?).
There are numerous other species in the genus Thladiantha - if you have available the seeds or tubers of any of them please write to me.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is very interesting! Do you have any roots spare?

    ReplyDelete

Hybrid of Hardy Tamarillo’s (Cyphomandra corymbiflora x fragrans) - current update

 We are pleased to have good news. Just yesterday an article was published about the new varieties of Tamarillo that we later breded. The en...